Eating breakfast, lunch and dinner is a good idea to make sure that you are getting the correct nutrients into your body so that you can function at your best everyday. It is quite a popular theme these days for people to skip breakfast and/or lunch and then compensate for it by eating a massive dinner, sometimes really late at night too, with extra unrefined carbs because you so ravished by the time you get to dinner time. The pull to fill up with sweets and chips is even greater in these situations because lets be honest skipping meals makes you hangry (hungry + angry).
In this post I am going to be giving some ideas of some things to eat for breakfast, that are high in protein, good fats and refined carbs, giving you the energy you need to get through the morning, but also keeping you full.
Egg and bacon: everyone enjoys a good egg and bacon breakfast. You can make your eggs however you want: scrambled, fried, boiled or poached, creating variety. Boiled and poached is obviously the healthiest way to eat your eggs. To bulk it up – add some steamed sweet potato on the side, some spinach, or a slice of brown/wholewheat/gluten-free toast.
Omelette: This is another option for your eggs breakfast. Some delicious fillings: bacon, mushroom, and cheese; spring onion, bacon, cheese and sweet potato cubes; bacon and cheese; spinach and feta.
3. Baked eggs: This is really delicious and healthy. Take a dish that is oven friendly. Chop up some mushrooms, onions, Bacon, or whatever you want and pop it into the dish. Then crack eggs on top and season. Pop the dish into the oven at 180 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked through.
The picture featured here is of the baked eggs before they go into the oven.
The picture featured below is what it looks like after you have baked the eggs:
4. Smoothies: All food shops usually stock 300g bags of frozen berries. We buy a bag every month and store it in the freezer. Fresh berries are so expensive so we find this option much more affordable, and because they frozen they don’t go bad. The internet has many options of different smoothie flavours. We love making smoothies because they are a great way to get in a lot of vegetables and fruit. Add in nuts, peanut butter, milk, or yogurt to make them more filling. A good tip to make your smoothies colder and more icy is to cut up some fruits and pop them into a ziplock bag and freeze them, using them when you make a smoothie.
5. Granola and yogurt: We make our own granola as we find it a cheaper option than buying granola from the shops. We chop up a banana and/or an apple and pop a handful of seeds on top, with some yogurt. This is a quick and delicious breakfast.
6. Oats:If you are following a paleo/dairy-free/grain free lifestyle oats isn’t included then. However, we always have a bag of quick oats in the cupboard when we just want a yummy warm breakfast. Pop some chopped up nuts and cranberries on top. Delicious.
7. Banana Pancakes: These are quickly becoming a weekly favourite. Oh my goodness! Is it even possible to use the word pancake + healthy together? Yes. It is possible because these pancake use raw ingredients that are refined, they have filling healthy carbs in them and are packed with protein. It’ll also take no more than 5 minutes to make the mixture.
You need: 3 bananas, 3 eggs, 2 tablespoons of almond butter/peanut butter, 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Optional extras – 1 teaspoon vanilla essence, cinnamon. Pulse the mixture up, and pop into the fridge for 10 minutes while the pan is heating up. You can add in a handful of blue berries or chocolate chips if you want to.
*The banana pancakes featured below have a cranberry sauce on top (we popped a handful of cranberries into a pot with enough water to cover the cranberries. Crank the stove top up and let the water soak into the cranberries and simmer away, leaving a completely natural sticky sauce. Strawberries and blueberries work well with this as well.
There you have it, some lovely and delicious breakfast ideas! Please don’t skip your breakfast in the morning. Rather wake up a bit earlier and spend the time making sure you are getting your nutrients in.
If you missed my post about healthy snack and drinks ideas, have a recap. In my next post I will be sharing some delicious and healthy lunch ideas.